General Expenditure Policies of the Associated Students
A.S. funds may not be used for grants.
All income collected from all activities using the name and/or funds of the Associated Students must be collected in an approved manner and deposited to A.S. accounts.
If a student organization is selling tickets as part of a fundraiser, A.S. funds cannot be used. Access to A.S. funded events must be free and open to all students. If A.S. facilities are used for student organization events that require ticketing, an A.S. Ticketing Agreement must be put in place.
Title 5 of the state administrative code, Section 42403 states:
Funds of an auxiliary organization shall be used for purposes consistent with Board of Trustee and campus policy, and shall not be used:
(1) To support or oppose any candidate for public office, whether partisan or not, or to support or oppose any issue before the voters of this state or any subdivision thereof or any city, municipality, or local governmental entity of any kind except as may be permitted by Section 89300 of the Educational Code.
Campus policy may further define guidelines relating to expenditure of A.S. funds on political activities.
Specific Expenditure Policies of the Associated Students
Each account is sub-divided into object codes (promotions, supplies, food, etc.) and each object code is subject to the following expenditure guidelines:
Allocations may be made for:
- Clothing with promotional messages
- Printing and postage for informational bulletins may be funded only if they exclude opinion articles and are for information only.
- Copies of informational flyers (i.e. program booklets for recruitment events/High School conferences, etc.)
- Buttons, stickers, bumper stickers
- Web sites: SDSU offers free rohan sites. Student organizations cannot pay for Web hosting or creating Websites with A.S. funds.
Allocations may be made for:
- Paper, staples, tape, binders and other supplies intended for general office use.
- Copies of organizational minutes and other general correspondence Scrapbooks or memory books, film, film processing, video tapes. or any related items.
- Subscriptions (newspapers, magazines, or books), if the group demonstrates compelling reasons for the use of the publication and can provide a home for the publication that is on campus and accessible for the general student population.
- Student organizations may spend no more than $400 on food per year. If food purchases are for regularly scheduled student organization meetings in Aztec Mesa, student organizations must follow the Campus Guidelines
- Funded entities may request funds for awards. Requests must detail the recipient criteria with their request, as well as documentation that the person received the award.
Board Relations (#6490):
- College Councils are allocated a board relations fund to be used for recruitment, retention and board activities, including food for board meetings. The budget formula is $25 per person multiplied by the number of board members, not to exceed $400. The money cannot be used to purchase alcoholic beverages or end of the year parties. No additional food allocations will be made to these entities.
Organization Relations (#6497):
- Student Organizations may request an organization relations fund to be used for recruitment, retention and board activities, including food for organization meetings. not to exceed $400 per year. The money cannot be used to purchase alcoholic beverages or end of the year parties. No additional food allocations will be made to these entities.
The following expenditures for student organizations and A.S. Boards, Committees and College Councils are not allowed by the Associated Students:
- Consulting Services
- Decorative Pieces including candles, vases, ornaments, decorative art, wrapping paper, etc.
- Gift Certificates
- Newsletters with opinions or Other Publications with opinions
- Office Equipment or Furniture: These include chairs, tables, lamps, telephones, adding machines, cash registers, copying machines, etc.
- Party Favors including hats, streamers, balloons, gag door prizes, etc.
- Rentals of Helium Tanks
- Items for resale
- Websites - web hosting or creation